Did you know that about 3 in 10 Indian children under the age of 5 years do not reach their ideal height and weight?
And very often, poor eating is to blame.
Children need good nutrition
Good food and good nutrition are very important for growing children. The right nutrition depends on the age of your child and the stage of growth. And if children do not eat well, not only could it affect their growth, but it could also affect their mental development. Remember, children who are not eating properly may feel tired and find it hard to pay attention at school, and may also fall ill more frequently.
So what can you do to ensure that you child eats well to reach their growth and mental potential?
Food for children
Just like the adults in the family, even young children need to eat healthy foods from all the food groups. This means that children need:
- starchy foods like bread, rice, potatoes, chapatti for energy, fibre and important nutrients
- fruits and vegetables that come loaded with minerals, vitamins and fibre
- protein- and iron-rich foods like beans, lentils, and in non-vegetarian homes – eggs, fish, meat
- milk and other dairy products that contain calcium for your child’s bones and teeth, and vitamin A to help fight off infections
Abbott Nutrition’s PediaSure is the No. 1 nutritional supplement recommended by paediatricians in both India and the U.S, and is trusted by mothers in over 80 countries. PediaSure is a science-based nutritional supplement that provides complete, balanced nutrition for children from age 2 to 10 – those special years of rapid growth and mental development.
When consumed in proper amounts, PediaSure is scientifically formulated to provide 100% of the energy, vitamins and minerals, and a balance of protein, fats, and carbohydrates that children require for growth and health. Formulated with 37 vital nutrients, PediaSure is clinically proven to help increase height and weight*, reduce number of sick days**, and reduce incidence of infection**. PediaSure also contains nutrients such as Taurine, Choline and Omega 3 and 6 to support brain development in children.
For more information, visit the website http://pediasure.in/about/recommended-nutrition
*Study conducted in fussy eaters at nutritional risk who were also given nutritional counseling alongwith Pediasure. Alarcon et al (2003)
**Study conducted in fussy eaters at nutritional risk who were also given nutritional counseling alongwith Pediasure. Study conducted in children 1-6 years of age who were given Pediasure with prebiotics and probiotics. Results were seen in children 3-5 years of age. Alarcon et al (2003) , Fisberg et al (2002)
- Rapid Survey on Children 2013 – 2014. Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India. Available at: http://wcd.nic.in/issnip/National_Fact%20sheet_RSOC%20_02-07-2015.pdf pg 4.
- World Health Organization. Underweight, stunting, wasting and overweight. http://apps.who.int/nutrition/landscape/help.aspx?menu=0&helpid=391&lang=EN pg 1
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Normal growth and development. Available at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002456.htm.
- NHS Choices. What to feed young children. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/understanding-food-groups.aspx.
- PediaSure website. http://pediasure.in/about/recommended-nutrition.