NutritionTips for Managing Common Digestive Symptoms
Indigestion in pregnancy is triggered partly due to hormonal changes, and later due to the growing baby in the womb that puts pressure on your stomach. About 8 out of 10 women experience indigestion during their pregnancy.
Heartburn is a burning sensation in the chest that is caused because of the stomach acid passing from your stomach into the tube that leads from the mouth to the stomach. Try these simple tips to reduce heartburn –
- Eat many small meals every day instead of three large ones
- Avoid fried and spicy foods
- Drink less water while eating
- Do not lie immediately after eating
Constipation during pregnancy can be caused due to a couple of reasons during pregnancy such as your hormones as well as pressure on your rectum from your uterus. Implement these simple changes in your lifestyle to get rid of the problem–
- Increase consumption of fiber in your diet with foods such as fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains
- Drink warm liquids, particularly in the morning
- Drink plenty of fluids every day; at least 6-8 glasses of water and 1-2 glasses of fruit juice
Pregnancy-related gas and bloating
The symptoms of indigestion remain the same during pregnancy as for anyone else, and it can commonly cause bloating and burping. Here are a few changes you can make to your lifestyle to prevent gas and bloating –
- Avoid foods that can cause gas such as beans, broccoli, cabbage
- Eat slowly and avoid gulping food or drinks as you are more likely to swallow air when you rush though your meals
- Avoid sudden changes in your stomach temperature such as having a hot food after a cold beverage
- Chew your food slowly and avoid talking while chewing
- Do not overeat and prefer having frequent small meals rather than large ones
- National Health Service (NHS). Indigestion and heartburn in pregnancy. Last reviewed: 5/11/2014. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/indigestion-heartburn-pregnant.aspx. As accessed on: 6/5/2016.
- Heartburn during Pregnancy. Last updated: 5/9/2014. Available from: http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/heartburn-during-pregnancy. As accessed on: 6/5/2016.
- Common Pregnancy Pains and Their Causes. Available from: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/pregnancy-discomforts-causes?page=3#3. As accessed on: 6/5/2016.
- Gas, Bloating, and Burping – Prevention. Last updated: 14/11/2014. Available from: http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/tc/gas-bloating-and-burping-prevention. As accessed on: 6/5/2016.